Friday, July 1, 2011

Girls For Breakfast



I really enjoyed this book. A lot. A lot a lot.

It was about a Korean-American guy named Nick who was a "banana." (gedditt, like oreo.) He likes girls. Has since third grade, when he found a playboy magazine with his friend.

I really liked how early in his life the book started- around second grade, when he was moving in as the only Asian in town. Not being accepted and stuff. The book spanned until highschool graduation. It was like real life--you would forget that that thing happened to you earlier. I would be more than halfway done, in 8th grade, and be like, this was the same guy who pretended to know Kung Fu and couldn't stop picturing the bus driver naked.

The real-lifeness of it was really nice. His friends, for instance. Very real. Non existent, then suddenly, popular, then alone. Again.

And the whole time, he's talking about girls. It's the story of his life. Girls.

He's just so unapologetically horny. I love it.

My brain was flooded with love for girls again. Around that time my thoughts about then were usually laced with a tinge of resentment, but at the moment I was reaffirmed in my dedication. Girls were what I lived for; they were all I ever wanted. Only girls could make me feel truly happy--I wanted girls for breakfast every day.

Gorgeous.

The one sentence summary was something like: the only Korean-American teenager in his WASP-y town looks back on his life and credits his ethnicity to why he wasn't accepted or included by friends or possible dates.

It was something like that, anyway.

On a scale of 1 to 10, a being ehh and 10 being read it now immediately for the sake of both of our happiness, I give this book a 9.5.

It was really really really really entertaining. And eyeopening. I don't really think about how girl-obsessed boys are, and like, stuff that they do... Um, can I say masturbating here?

But actually, that wasn't a big part of the book, don't worry. Actually, you would think it would be more, with the title, but it's not. Because he's so unbelievably pathetic/lovable. Like Holden Caufield.

It was actually more about growing up, and how people saw you, and how you saw yourself, and how you thought people saw you. And fitting in, wanting to, not wanting to... Defying stereotypes, living up to stereotypes, making stereotypes, fighting stereotypes... Racism, horniness. Sex, drugs, rock n roll. Just kidding. Really, kidding.


Again, this book is a 9/10. this mean I won't KILL you completely (using, of course, Nick Park's hummingbird move) but I will seriously injure you using the same technique, and if you are male, haha, I feel bad for you.

READ IT. Please, though, it was great. I read it for four hours straight. Well it didn't take me that long, by I was in a car. Headache. Suffered through. Plus, I had to acquire food in the middle, which was a waste of time. This book rocked.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, isn't that the book I told you to get because it was by an Asian? :P I think it is...and the cover from the side was nice right? Yep. I remember that book

    ReplyDelete