Thursday, September 16, 2010

Some old authors of the moments...

1.


George Orwell.

Animal Farm
1984


say no more.

But actually, I have to say more. I haven't even finished 1984 yet- but the ideas and the story is just so good. Creepy, a bit secret agent (but yeah no, not at all), and just really interesting. The world is so hard to imagine, and yet not. You could actually picture this happening. EVERYTHING is controlled- even your thoughts. Or, your thoughts are tried to be controlled. You can be arrested for twitching! It has a name- facecrime. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU! I mean really, why would you put that on a poster all over not as an ironic joke? The people don't even find this a little weird? No, they don't. They actually think that what's happening is good.

Parts of it are actually somewhat like animal farm, after the creepy pig takes over- he keeps sending guys over to tell the rest of the farm that things are better- look! Last year, with the farmer in charge, you only had this much grain! And now! Fantastic! Even if it's a lie. THAT part made me a bit mad because of how similar it was to 1984, because the whole point of this kind of work is to be creative. But whatever.
Animal Farm was also really amazing. I love the transistion Napoleon (I think that's his name. I haven't read it in... actually, exactly a year.) makes from low farm animal pig guy to human at the end. What's that line? “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” I love that.

They were both really cool things to read. Interesting. And I'm gonna see if he wrote anything else after finishing possibly the most well known conspiricy-scifi-government-controlled book ever written. No wonder it's been banned.





2.


SCOTT WESTERFELD- HAVE I SERIOUSLY NOT TALKED ABOUT HIM YET????!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!??!!!??!?!??!?
He (and of course, Markus Zusak) are the writers of my favorite books in the world.
Westerfeld wrote the book Peeps, and the book So Yesterday. My favorite thing about him is that he really like, does his research. I guess you'll need to read Peeps to find out- but there are a lot of historical things, and biological things, and parasite things that I can only imagine how long he spent learning about. Same with it's sequel, The Last Days, with all these random bands he found for the chapter titles.
And in So Yesterday, he shows that it's not just science and music he knows about- fashion too. I mean, really, this guy is just so smart.
Whenever I spout random information (which I do often) my parent's are like "Where is that from?" and I pretty much always say Scott Westerfeld. He’s great and I’ve learned a lot. PLUS his stories are awesome. I really love the ideas that he has, with the vampires and the fashion and the future. It’s just really cool . And I still need to read one of his… I forgot what it’s called. It starts with an L, I think? Anyone know? Whatever, everyone, read all of his books. It will make me happy. Peeps is like my FAVORITE book. Possibly ever.

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Animal Farm right now. It's amazing. And short. But amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i read animal farm and sophie when can i have it back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The school performed Animal Farm this past week. And we're reading Fahrenheit 451, and that's kind of like 1984, right?

    ReplyDelete