Thursday, April 8, 2010

Zee's Writing Class

I Still Have Everything You Gave Me

The closet- full of the stuff I didn't want to get rid of. Too lazy to, I guess. It's full of junk in there, it's only junk.

Junk piked on top of each other in a mess of colors and textures. Cleaning it out would mean sorting through everything. No, it would mean more than that, I would have to throw things out also. And to do that I would have to bring a garbage can up here- no, a garbage TRUCK.

I still have everything you gave me. How long have I held on to it all? I don't know, really. Too long.

It's too much stuff, everything you gave me.

And when it is combined with all the other worthless gifts I've gotten, do you think the pile shrinks?

Yeah, no, it growns. Multiplies. Exponentialy. The more stuff you have, the less you give away. You know what that graph would look? It would go from a horizontal line to a vertical one in an inch. Zero to sixty in a few seconds. All the space in my closet, wasted. Do you know what I could've put in there? Anything. That closet had potential. You ruined it, leaving me boxes of junk.You filled it to the brim so now nothing new and good could sneak in. It's full now, never to hold a fancy dress or even a bathrobe.

But I still have it, I still have everything you gave me.

It's too much.

It's too much stuff.


What is this a giant metaphor for????? COMMENT IT ON!!!! Come on people, no one is responding!!!
ps. I wrote this in Zee's writing class at the library, it's fiction, btw.

5 comments:

  1. I love it, even though it's probably not what I think it is.
    A betrayal of someone close? :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, or even the death of a husband or someone. "leaving me boxes..." kinda implies deadness. And then, with the fancy dress, will never get over it. It's dragging her down, keeing her from letting anyone else in. I loovvve metaphors.This one is kinda a long stretch, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a metaphor for a relationship. Not necessarily with a guy...just with anyone...maybe a close friend. For some reason you split apart. Maybe they were killed or maybe you just weren't friends anymore. And the boxes of junk are memories. The person narrating is holding on to the memories. And all of the memories are too much. They all build up and then they are too much to deal with. So they just shove them out of their thoughts (back into the closet).

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES. I knew at least two people would get it :) Except the problem isn't solved by shoving them in the closet, the problem is mostly having no more room in the mind for more good memories, only the stuff that he gave her. So there is never another chance. It's a very depressing story, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it :) Now I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete