Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Great Gatsby

Nerdfighteria is reading the "great american classic" The Great Gatsby as this giant book club event thing. Of course I had to as well. It's so much fun. First of all, I'm really loving the book. Second of all, its great to have John Green explain the book as we go through it, because he understands all of the parts I'm unclear of. He also really reads into the symbolisms and stuff, and, you know, one of the best qualities of Hank and John Green is that they are sooo super good at explaining things that logically shouldn't make sense.
For example, this song is about quarks. Watch it, and you'll somehow know what they are. God. Also, that one about the nuclear energy that I made Sophie and Jessie watch when they were studying nuclear energy in Dallas. They just know. 

So, guys, get out your parent's copy of The Great Gatsby and start reading. So far he's only done the first chapter, so you're fine. But that's unfair, really, because he said we had to do the first 6 chapters, and I did, and now he's only talked about one of them and I might forget. But. Anyway. Read the first chapter, then watch this.



And then you will fully enjoy being a part of Nerdfighteria and yeah reading old American literature. It's a good book! Why am I always so surprised by this? I LOVED The Catcher in the Rye. And those other ones. To Kill a Mockingbird. 1984. I'm always so shocked that old books are good. But they are. And this one is too. So read it. 

Seriously, it's good. And he's an amazing English teacher. He is a professional writer, after all. So it's fun, for me.

1 comment: