Friday, November 19, 2010

How did you do on your report card?

Awhile ago, I wrote this. I forgot if I had posted this up here yet or not, so I guess I'll just post it. Apparantly, I haven't been on my blog enough. Right.

My dad enjoys painting me different colors…







I wake up in the morning and get ready for school. Walking down the old wood stairs, slightly creaking them, but in a friendly way, I go over the list in my head. Ever constant, ever changing. I mentally check off a few things in my head. Homework. Turn alarm clock on. Those were from last night. Eat breakfast. Check to make sure homework has, in fact, made it into my backpack.


“Control freak…” I can imagine them whispering. Then, “Oooh, you’re hearing voices…” then “Wow, you even make up problems for yourself…”


True, I know. True. The red ceiling above me bothers me because it clashes with the maroon walls. Obsessive compulsive. Control freak. My dad, the one who painted these walls, is the complete opposite. He, after all, painted these walls.


Blobs of goopy paint staring right at me- bubbles and faded areas all over.


Abstract, he calls it.


Ugly, I call it.


The kitchen is the same way, except light pink, with the same red ceiling. My dad is slouching on a chair, even though the whole point of chairs is so your spine can rest, not bend itself. I sit opposite him, and in fact oppositly- perfectly leaned back against the chair.


“Why are you up so early?” he asks me.


“School?” I say.


“Oh. Really?”


“Um… yeah?” I don’t know where he’s going with this.


“No, today’s a painting day.” He says this like it’s a known fact and not something he made up when I walked into the room.


“Oh…” he’s a painter, and he somehow makes a living painting our (completely empty) spare bedrooms different colors and sending the pictures to art magazines. My role in this is getting covered in paint and throwing myself at the walls in different poses.


A human stamp.


Completely unlike me, but I would do anything to keep my dad’s less than stable line of work…


And then time was up...


If you want to, answer the title in the comments!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Various wonderings... does your dad actually paint? do you hear voices too :)? (kidding) when did you write this?

    oh, and I like it.
    oh, and I'm sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did good on my report cardd. How did you doooo? JUST KIDDING. I already saw yours =)

    ReplyDelete