Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Idea That Can't Be Explained Properly, Ever

I've been trying to think of a way to phrase this idea since I had it, and it's really impossible. This is the closest I got, and it's not perfect.

When you finish a book it feels like it ran out of pages, not just concluded. "where did the rest go?" you might ask, even when there is a perfectly reasonable ending. The problem is that the book finished before you did. There is a delay, a period of time in which you are not really there, you are somewhere else, still reading the pages that got pulled out from under you.

The idea I am looking for is "that period of time." does anyone know what I'm talking about? You are in a funk because the book isn't done inside of you, you are still thinking about it in great detail. I hope this isn't like that hero post thing awhile back where know one knew what I was talking about and thought I was going crazy/ had a very very interesting imagination.

Does anyone else get in good-book-funks where you aren't processing anything but the story you won't let go of? Come on, my literate friends, you must know what I'm talking about.

No?

I must be going crazy then.

No.

I'm not. You just don't see it.

5 comments:

  1. I HAVE THOSE. If feels so weird. And I don't know how to describe it. I get it when I finish a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW RIGHT! It's this haze! I bet its magical! Story idea... hahaha. Isn't it an awesome feeling? How would you describe it though? It's so hard to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the haze thing though. Because that's exactly what it is. It feels like a haze, like you're still stuck there in the book. And it takes a bit to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel like i dont want to read another book,and get used to a whole different character and a whole nother life.

    ReplyDelete