Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Open Mic

I'm not sure what I want to read for Open Mic this quarter, but I decided it would be something good unlike the last times. So these are too fictional (I guess you would call them vignettes? SOPHIA? You are the expert here) that I wrote in this writing class at the library. If you were one of my early early followers you might've seen these before, so just help me decide, but if you haven't seen either of these you can do two things! Help me choose which to read AND tell me what you like about them. It's really hard to choose. I really like how "The Mood of a Room" isn't first person, but it might be a little too sad. I really like in "I Still Have Everything You Game Me" how it's this huge metaphor and it takes awhile to, i don't know, get. Help me choose! And please, tell me if I would sound, like, suicidal if i read the first one.


The Mood Of A Room
It is only 8 o'clock. No one has yet arrived, there is only a Woman standing against a wall. The room feels empty, which is reasonable, because it is, but the emptiness feels deeper than just lacking of people. There is no spirit here, in a room full of black silk decorations and black silk memories.
People are beginning to stroll in, looks of sadness or looks of pretend sadness on their faces. Already the mood in the room is hurried. Everyone is honored to be there, of course, but now they can't wait to leave.
The emptiness is getting deeper. The Woman is still standing against the wall, the black of her dress contrasting with the deep cream of the wallpaper.
The emptiness is starting to swallow up the room. Everyone is silent. Waiting for the Woman to say something, but she is still standing against the wall.
Nobody goes up to comfort her.
People start to whisper, and the whispers gradually increase into a talk and a roar once the people realize that the Woman isn't going to say anything.
The fake sad faces are replaced with faces of laughter, and the actually sad faces soon follow.
The Woman darts out of the room. She can't take the room any longer, but the hallways aren't really much better. The echoes of happy people are going to follow her through the wooden door.
They should be sad! Why aren't they sad? This is what she will always be thinking. Not just here, but everywhere in her life; people will always be in a different place then her.
The party goes on, and the death and the emptiness of the room has disappeared along with the only person who is still holding on to it. The chatter is now happy and light, and there is no reason to be sad. What were we here for? I don't remember anymore. The reason never mattered, anyway, it was just an excuse to come together.
The reason never mattered, anyway.

Except to the Woman.

Okay, so that was "The Mood Of A Room." Please give opinions about the piece in general in addition to how it compares to this next one:

I Still Have Everything You Gave Me

The closet- full of the stuff I didn't want to get rid of. Too lazy to, I guess. It's full of junk in there, it's only junk.

Junk piked on top of each other in a mess of colors and textures. Cleaning it out would mean sorting through everything. No, it would mean more than that, I would have to throw things out also. And to do that I would have to bring a garbage can up here- no, a garbage TRUCK.

I still have everything you gave me. How long have I held on to it all? I don't know, really. Too long.

It's too much stuff, everything you gave me.

And when it is combined with all the other worthless gifts I've gotten, do you think the pile shrinks?

Yeah, no, it grows. Multiplies. Exponentially. The more stuff you have, the less you give away. You know what that graph would look? It would go from a horizontal line to a vertical one in an inch. Zero to sixty in a few seconds. All the space in my closet, wasted. Do you know what I could've put in there? Anything. That closet had potential. You ruined it, leaving me boxes of junk.You filled it to the brim so now nothing new and good could sneak in. It's full now, never to hold a fancy dress or even a bathrobe.

But I still have it, I still have everything you gave me.

It's too much.

It's too much stuff.


Thanks guys. Now comment and help decide which to read. Everything you say matters! And also, what do you think the second one, I Still Have Everything You Gave Me, is a metaphor for? And you people who already know because you commented on the last one, don't say anything on that topic.

8 comments:

  1. I like the second one better. It makes more sense to me, and has a good rhythm. It's sooo good. It puts mine to shame :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :)
    Yeah, I was pretty sure that was the one i was going to do. Until. Then i realized that the first one was really cool because of all the feeling. I looovvve making the feelings in the rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It helps if you read them both aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the second one better but for open mic i would do the first one... the second one will make you sound depressed... and the second sounds like it's fully imagination... they are both reeeeaaaaallllly good so whichever one you choose will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's weird....it didn't post my comment!!!! oh well. i just said that i liked the first one better cause i thought it had better rhythm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should read the first one. They are both good but they first one is mysterious like you kind of get the idea of what is happening and then you still have enough hunger in your mind left to think it think it through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first one...and no you don't sound suicidal =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay guys thank you. I think i'm gonn try and poste reading aloud both of them so you can further help me- it's still really hard to choose. Like, the mood of a room is kinda interesting and the feeling is really big and it's told from a good angle but I still have everything you gave me has good ideas in it- like what dishe leave her and how there ist room for anyone else anymore and other thIngs that it doesn't come straight out and say. But it's in first person.

    So yeah continue helping and stay tuned
    for my read aloud versions (if I figure out how to do it. I have an idea but I'm not sure yet.)

    ReplyDelete